Saturday, April 23, 2011

Breakfast from my childhood

It's WAY past time to get this blog thing going, so what better way to start it off.  By talking about food!  A couple of months ago I went to visit my darling mother and she made me a breakfast I hadn't had since I was a child.  Eggs in a Hole!  It's so simple and oh, so good.  I do mine just a touch different than her.  Here's what I do.

First, I cook up the yummy bacon.  Once that is done, I pour off most of the grease.  (You can always save this to use in other recipes.  I suggest in a metal container like a coffee can.)  While the bacon is frying, prep your bread.  Butter it up, I only do one side actually.  Then I simply take a cup or a biscuit cutter and press it into the bread and remove the circle from the middle.  Save these though!

Then, take your bread slices and place it in what is left of the bacon drippings butter side up.  Then carefully crack your egg and put it in the hole.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Let this cook for a bit then flip over carefully.  Let this side cook to your desired doneness...is that even a word?  lol  Don't forget to brown up your bread circles.

That's it!  Like I said, SO simple and it is so good!  


1 comment:

  1. looks good but theres nothing like some french toast

    -nitrosportman

    ReplyDelete